LMU Timeline

1865

Saint Vincent's College

 1865 - St Vincent's College

Bishop Thaddeus Amat y Brusi, C.M., invites the Company of the Missions (Vincentian Fathers) to open the first institution of higher education in Los Angeles. That year, they open Saint Vincent’s College at the Lugo family’s former townhouse on the Los Angeles Plaza, at the end of Olvera Street. John Asmuth, C.M., is the first president.  Over the next 46 years, the school would occupy four locations in the Downtown Los Angeles neighborhood including the site now known as St. Vincent's Plaza.

1911

The Founding: Los Angeles College

 1911 - The Founding

Bishop Thomas Conaty invites the Society of Jesus to take over St. Vincent's College.  Not wishing to assume the massive debt of the College, they close the school and open Los Angeles College in the Highland Park neighborhood, transferring most of the students from St. Vincent's.  Richard Gleeson, S.J., is named the first president.  St. Vincent's College alumnus, Isidore Dockweiler ’87, is appointed as the first lay member of Los Angeles College Board of Trustees.

1914

President William J. Deeney, S.J.

 

William J. Deeney, S.J., is named the second president of Los Angeles College.

1915

Back to Saint Vincent's College

1915 - Back to St. Vincent's College 

Los Angeles College changes its name back to Saint Vincent's College.

1915

President Frederick Ruppert, S.J.

1915 - President Frederick Ruppert, S.J. 

Frederick Ruppert, S.J., named the third president of the College.

1916

Groundbreaking

1916 - Groundbreaking 

Rather than breaking ground on a new campus in Hollywood, as had been expected, the College breaks ground on 16th Street in the Pico Heights District.

1917

Pico Heights

1917 - Pico Heights 

The college moves to its new campus in the Pico Heights District; today, it is the campus of Loyola High School.

1918

Loyola College

1918 - Loyola College 

The name of the College changes to Loyola College.

1918

President Henry Welch, S.J.

1918 - President Henry Welch, S.J. 

Henry Welch, S.J., is named the fourth president of the College.

1920

The Law School

1920 - Law School 

Loyola Law School is founded as St. Vincent's School of Law, welcoming both women and men.  It is the first law school in Los Angeles to admit students of all faiths.

1920

Los Angeles Loyolan

1920 - Loyolan 

The Cinder in the Public's Eye begins publication as the first student newspaper, it would soon change its name to the Los Angeles Loyolan.

1923

The Lions

1923 - The Lions 

Loyola College formally adopts the lion as its mascot.

1923

Marymount-in-the-West

1923 - Marymount-in-the-West 

At Bishop John Cantwell's invitation, Cecilia Rafter, R.S.H.M., and six sisters of the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary move to Los Angeles and welcome seven students to Marymount-in-the-West. Its first location is the Brockman Estate in Downtown Los Angeles, now home to a USC Sorority.

1926

The Culver Gift

1926 - The Culver Gift 

Harry Culver donates 99 acres of land in the Del Rey Hills (now Westchester) to Loyola College for a new campus.

1926

President Joseph A. Sullivan, S.J.

1926 - President Joseph Sullivan, S.J. 

Joseph A. Sullivan, S.J., is named the fifth president of Loyola College.

1927

Academic Expansion

1927 - Academic Expansion 

The Loyola's original academic college, the College of Arts and Sciences (now the Bellarmine College of Liberal Arts) is joined by the School of Commerce and Finance (now the College of Business Administration) and School of Engineering (later developing into the Frank R. Seaver College of Science and Engineering).  The new schools provide the foundation for the college’s immigrant students (including Basques, Italians, Irish, Philipinos, and Sonoran Mexicans among others) to enter into the professional world of Los Angeles.

1928

The Del Rey Groundbreaking

1928 - The Del Rey Groundbreaking 

Religious, civic, business, and academic leaders from throughout the state participate in the groundbreaking of Loyola's new campus in the Del Rey Hills.

1929

Loyola University

1929 - Loyola University 

Loyola College incorporates as Loyola University at its new campus in Del Rey. St. Robert Bellarmine Hall and St. Francis Xavier Hall, housing both students and Jesuits, are the first two structures on the new campus. The high school division remains at the Pico Heights campus and the law school moves to the Byrne Building in Downtown Los Angeles.

1929

The Crimson Circle

1929 - The Crimson Circle 

The first service organization, the Crimson Circle, is formed by Loyola's dean of students, Lorenzo M. Malone, S.J., '17.

1930

President Zacheus J. Maher, S.J.

1930 - President Zacheus Maher 

Zacheus J. Maher, S.J., is named the sixth president of Loyola University.

1930

Coach Thomas Lieb

1930 - Coach Thomas Lieb 

Knute Rockne, recruited by Loyola to create the “Notre Dame of the West,” comes to campus for the shooting of his biopic on location at Loyola’s Sullivan Field. Rockne declined the coaching job but his protégé and assistant, Thomas Lieb, was instead named athletic director and head coach of the football and ice hockey teams.

1931

Westwood

1931 - Westwood 

Marymount-in-the-West relocates to a seven acre campus on the north side of UCLA in Westwood.

1931

The Del Rey Players

1931 - Del Rey Players 

The Del Rey Players, a student theatre troupe, forms at Loyola.

1932

Grand Avenue

1932 - Grand Avenue 

The law school moves from the Byrne Building to a new home on South Grand Avenue.

1932

President Hugh C. Duce, S.J.

1932 - President Hugh C. Duce, S.J. 

Hugh C. Duce, S.J., is named the seventh president of Loyola University.

1933

Marymount Junior College

1933 - Marymount Junior College 

Marymount Junior College opens on the Westwood campus. Gertrude Cain, R.S.H.M., is the first president.

1935

The Loyola Band

1935 - Loyola Band 

John Boudreau starts the Loyola Band.

1935

Broadcasting Begins

1935 - Broadcasting Begins 

The Loyola Radio Club, forerunner to KXLU and KLMU, begins broadcasting.

1937

President Charles A. McQuillan, S.J.

1937 - Charles A. McQuillan, S.J. 

Charles A. McQuillan, S.J., is named the eighth president of Loyola University.

1938

Lion Hockey

1938 - Lion Hockey 

The Lions defeat USC to win their third consecutive Pacific Coast League Ice Hockey Championship.

1942

President Edward J. Whelan, S.J.

1942 - President Edward J. Whelan, S.J. 

Edward J. Whelan, S.J., is named the ninth president of Loyola University.

1942

World War II

1942-1945 - World War II 

To save the university from closing during World War II, President Whelan incorporates the Government Wartime Program to train military officers during an accelerated academic program. This program would soon become Army Air Corps ROTC, now AFROTC.

1945

Fighting a Grave Injustice

1945 - Fighting a Grave Injustice 

Recognizing the injustice of the internment of Japanese American's during WWII, President Whelan hires many individuals returning from the camps who had lost their homes and jobs.  Apartments are built for their families in the basement of St. Robert's Hall.

1945

The G.I. Bill

1945 - The G.I. Bill 

The Loyola University campus population begins to explode due to the GI Bill.  The current campus infrastructure is unable to accommodate everyone so temporary Quonset huts are constructed in Sunken Gardens.

1946

Professor Frank Sullivan

1946 - Professor Frank Sullivan 

Frank Sullivan is named professor of English at Loyola University, beginning his storied career at the university spanning more than 30 years.

1948

Marymount College

1948 - Marymount College 

Marymount College is chartered as a four year college.

1948

Alumni Memorial Gym

1948 - Alumni Memorial Gym 

The Loyola Alumni Memorial Gymnasium opens as one of the largest basketball arenas in the West.

1949

President Charles S. Casassa, S.J.

1949 - President Charles Casassa 

Charles S. Casassa, S.J. is named the 10th president of Loyola University .

1950

Lion Football

1950 - Lion Football 

Don Klosterman '51 breaks two national college football records, completing 26 of 51 passes in a game. The football team, ranked 14th in the nation and poised to receive an invitation to play in the Orange Bowl, forfeits a game at Texas-Western College because Loyola's African-American team members were not allowed on the Texas field. A year later, President Casassa cancels the football program in order to devote more funds towards building up the campus infrastructure.

1952

Alpha Delta Gamma

1952 - Alpha Delta Gamma 

A chapter of Alpha Delta Gamma opens as the first national fraternity chapter at Loyola.

1953

Sacred Heart Chapel

1953 - Sacred Heart Chapel 

Sacred Heart Chapel is built. The tower is added a year later due to radar blocking concerns that might affect the Hughes runway below the bluff.

1953

St. Joseph Teacher College of Orange

1953 - St. Joseph Teacher College of Orange 

St. Joseph Teacher College of Orange is established by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange as an affiliate Junior College of the Catholic University of America.  It is originally a teacher preparation school exclusively for women religious.

1953

Workshop in Human Relations

1953 - Human Relations Workshop 

Loyola University opens the Workshop in Human Relations, later named the Martin Gang Institute, aimed at promoting the interdisciplinary and comprehensive understanding of intergroup relations and racial cooperation in Southern California. Then-LAPD Officer Tom Bradley, mayor of Los Angeles from 1973 to 1993, is among the workshop's first graduates.  Bradley would remain life-long friends with President Charles Casassa, S.J., and later say that the workshop changed his life and his view of race relations in Los Angeles.

1954

President Aquinas Brown, R.S.H.M.

1954 - President Aquinas Brown, R.S.H.M. 

Aquinas Brown, R.S.H.M., is named the second president of Marymount College.

1955

Pereira Hall

1955 - Pereira Hall 

The John Pereira, S.J., Hall of Engineering opens, honoring the Jesuit brother who planted all of the original trees on the Del Rey campus.

1956

President Gertrude Cain, R.S.H.M.

1956 - President Gertrude Cain, R.S.H.M. 

Gertrude Cain, R.S.H.M., returns to Marymount College as its third president.

1957

The Student Workers

1957 - Student Workers 

The Student Worker Program is established by Thomas O'Rourke, S.J., to assist students with financial need.

1958

The Malone Center

1958 - The Malone Center (2)

The Lorenzo M. Malone, S.J., Student Center opens.

1959

St. Joseph College of Orange

1959 - St. Joseph College of Orange 

St. Joseph College of Orange is established as a four year institution with Mary Felix Montgomery, C.S.J., as the president.

1959

The Charles Von Der Ahe Library

1959 - Von Der Ahe Library 2

The Charles Von Der Ahe Library opens.  It would remain the Westchester campus' library for 50 years.

1960

Pres. Marie du Sacre Couer Smith, R.S.H.M.

1960 - President Marie du Sacre Couer Smith, R.S.H.M. 

Marie du Sacre Couer Smith, R.S.H.M., is named the fourth president of Marymount College.

1960

Palos Verdes

1960 - Palos Verdes 

Marymount College moves to a new campus in Palos Verdes.

1960

The Belles

1960 - The Belles 

The Loyola Belles form as a women's service organization.  They are originally comprised of students from five Catholic women's colleges including Marymount College.

1962

Seaver Hall

1962 - Seaver Hall 

The Frank R. Seaver Hall of Science opens to house Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

1962-65

The Second Vatican Council

1962-1965 - The Second Vatican Council 

The Second Vatican Council takes place in Rome.  Future Professor of Theological Studies, Herbert J. Ryan, S.J., serves as secretary to theologian John Courtney Murray, S.J., the principal architect of the Council's Declaration on Religious Freedom, and peritus to Cardinal Francis Spellman, Archbishop of New York, during the second, third and fourth sessions of the Council.

1963

Foley Hall

1963 - Foley Hall 

Edward T. Foley Hall opens, including the Charles H. Strub Memorial Theatre.

1964

President Raymunde McKay, R.S.H.M.

1964 - President Raymunde McKay, R.S.H.M. 

Raymunde McKay, R.S.H.M., is named the fifth president of Marymount College.

1964

West Ninth Street

1964 - West Ninth Street

Loyola Law School moves from South Grand Avenue to a new campus on West Ninth Street.

1966

Negotiations Begin

1966 - Negotiations Begin 

Presidents Charles Casassa, S.J., of Loyola University, and Raymunde McKay, R.S.H.M., of Marymount College, begin discussions with Cardinal James McIntyre, Archbishop of Los Angeles, about the prospect of an affiliation between the two schools.

1966

Negotiations Begin

1966 - Negotiations Begin 

Presidents Charles Casassa, S.J., of Loyola University, and Raymunde McKay, R.S.H.M., of Marymount College, begin discussions with Cardinal James McIntyre, Archbishop of Los Angeles, about the prospect of an affiliation between the two schools.

1968

Professor George Dunne, S.J.

1968 - Professor George Dunne, S.J. 

Pope Paul VI and the Rev. Eugene Carson Blake, general secretary of the World Council of Churches, name George Dunne, S.J., '26, professor of political science at Loyola, as the first Secretary-General of the Committee on Society, Development and Peace in Geneva. It is the first joint enterprise by Roman Catholic and Protestant Churches since the Reformation.

1968

The Gryphon Circle

1968 - Gryphon Circle 

Gryphon Circle is formed at Marymount College as its first service organization.

1968

The Marymount College Agreement

1968 - The Marymount College Agreement 

Presidents Raymunde McKay, R.S.H.M., and Felix Montgomery, C.S.J., sign the Marymount College Agreement.  The agreement merges Marymount College and St. Joseph College of Orange under the Marymount name with both the R.S.H.M. and St. Joseph Sisters co-equally administering the school under President McKay's leadership.

1968

The Loyola - Marymount Affiliation

1968 - Loyola Marymount Affiliation 

Presidents Charles Casassa, S.J., of Loyola University, and Raymunde McKay, R.S.H.M., of Marymount College, announce that Marymount will move its four year programs from Palos Verdes and Orange to Loyola's Westchester campus as Loyola and Marymount begin their affiliation.  Marymount’s two year programs remain at the college's other campuses.

1968

BSU and UMAS

1968 - BSU and UMAS 

The Black Student Union and United Mexican-American Students form.

1969

President Donald P. Merrifield, S.J.

1969 - President Donald Merrifield, S.J. 

Donald P. Merrifield, S.J., is named the 11th president of Loyola University.

1969

The Leavey Center

1969 - The Leavey Center 

The Thomas and Dorothy Leavey Foundation Center is dedicated as the official residence of the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary.  The Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange originally shared the facility but would soon move to their own communities in the Westchester neighborhood.

1970

The Students Merge

1970 - The Students Merge 

The student governments of Loyola and Marymount form a joint governing body, the Associated Students of Loyola and Marymount, and elect a Marymount student as president.

1971

Communication Arts

1971 - Communication Arts (2) 

The Wil and Mary Jane Von der Ahe Communication Arts Building opens.

1971

The Bird Nest

1971 - The Bird Nest 

The Bird Nest is built on the university bluff as a venue for student events.  It is named in honor of Richard Robin, S.J., former director of housing, dean of students, and longtime assistant to the president.

1973

Loyola Marymount University

1973 - Loyola Marymount University 

Loyola University and Marymount College formally merge into Loyola Marymount University.  Donald P. Merrifield, S.J., continues to serve president and Marymount Academic Vice President Renée Harrangue, R.S.H.M., '57 is named provost.

1973

Traditions Coalesce: CFA

1973 - College of Communication and Fine Arts 

The College of Communication and Fine Arts forms at LMU, comprised primarily of departments brought to Westchester by Marymount College.

1974

Hillel

1974 - Hillel 

Hillel, a national Jewish student organization, forms on campus.

1974

Na Kolea

1974 - Na Kolea 

Na Kolea forms on campus and begins hosting its annual luau for the LMU and Westchester communities.

1976

Alpha Phi

1976 - Alpha Phi 

A chapter of Alpha Phi opens as the first sorority at LMU.

1977

APSA

1977 - ASPA 

The Asian Pacific Student Association forms.

1977

Special Games

1977 - Special Games 

The first Special Games, now the largest annual service project, is held at LMU.

1977

Von Der Ahe Expansion

1977 - Von Der Ahe Expansion 

The Charles Von Der Ahe Library completes a major expansion doubling its size.

1980

The Gehry Redesign

1980 - The Gehry Redesign 

The Frank Gehry designed remodel of Loyola Law School campus begins.

1980

Marital and Family Therapy

1981 - Marital and Family Therapy 

When Immaculate Heart College closes, its Department of Clinical Art Therapy (now the Graduate Department of Marital and Family Therapy) moves to LMU.

1981

Executive VP James Foxworthy

1981 - Executive Vice President James Foxworthy 

James Foxworthy, professor of engineering, is named executive vice president.

1981

Professor Herbert J. Ryan, S.J.

1981 - Professor Herbert Ryan, S.J. 

In recognition of his work toward Anglican – Catholic unity as a member of the historic First Anglican – Roman Catholic International Commission (ARCIC I), Herbert J. Ryan, S.J., professor of theological studies, is awarded the Cross of the of the Order of St. Augustine of Canterbury by Archbishop Robert Runcie of Canterbury a year after receiving the Pontifical Medal of Merit by Pope John Paul II.  He previously had received the International Christian Unity Award in 1974.

1981

Provost Joan Treacy, R.S.H.M.

1981 - Provost Joan Treacy, R.S.H.M. 

Joan Treacy, R.S.H.M., '67 is named provost.

1982

The Center for Service and Action

GE DIGITAL CAMERA

The Educational Participation in Communities Program, renamed the Center for Service and Action in 2000, is established.

1983

The Leavey Campus

1983 - The Leavey Campus 

The Leavey Campus, adjacent to the original 99 acres of land donated by Harry Culver, is purchased.  It later becomes the site of six student residence halls and apartment buildings, as well as the William H. Hannon Library.

1984

XXIII Olympic Games

1984 - XXIII Olympic Games 

Gersten Pavilion hosts the weightlifting competition for the XXIII Olympic Summer Games.

1984

President James Loughran, S.J.

1984 - President James Loughran, S.J. 

James Loughran, S.J., is named the 12th president of LMU.

1984

The Burns Fine Arts Center

1984 - The Burns Fine Arts Center 

The Fritz B. Burns Fine Arts Center opens.

1986

Provost Mary Milligan, R.S.H.M.

1986 - Provost Mary Milligan, R.S.H.M. 

The former General Superior of the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary, Mary Milligan, R.S.H.M., is named provost. She would later serve as dean of the College of Liberal Arts.

1988

The Burns Campus

1988 - Burns Campus 

The upper campus is named after longtime friend and benefactor, Fritz B. Burns.

1990

Lion Basketball

1990 - Lion Basketball 

LMU Men's Basketball team, led by seniors Bo Kimble and Jeff Fryer, reaches the Elite Eight of the NCAA Tournament, after the death of star player Hank Gathers during the WCC Tournament at Gersten Pavilion.

1990

Muslim Student Association

1990 - Muslim Student Association 

The Muslim Student Association forms at LMU for the first time.

1991

President Thomas P. O'Malley, S.J.

1991 - President Thomas O'Malley, S.J. 

Thomas P. O’Malley, S.J., is named the 13th president of LMU.

1992

Leavey Groundbreaking

1992 - Leavey Groundbreaking 

LMU breaks ground on construction for the Leavey Campus.  During construction a year later, a significant archaeological discovery of American Indian artifacts is revealed.

1992

LMU.edu Launched

LMU enters the Internet age as it is among the first universities to adopt a presence on the World Wide Web.  From its online birth to the centennial 18 years later, the website underwent eight major redesigns to remain competitve in cyberspace.  The most cricitcally acclaimed version of LMU.edu was launched in 2007 when LMU.edu won two Webbys, considered the Oscars of the Web, among other awards.  It was the first (and still) and only time a higher education institution received two Webbys in the same year.

1995

The Hilton Center

1995 - Hilton Center 

The Conrad N. Hilton Center for Business opens as the new home of the College of Business Administration.

1998

Alumni for Others

1998 - Alumni for Others 

Alumni for Others, a nation-wide service program for alumni, is founded by Peg Dolan, R.S.H.M., '58, M.A. '74.

1998

Alumni for Others

1998 - Alumni for Others 

Alumni for Others, a nation-wide service program for alumni, is founded by Peg Dolan, R.S.H.M., '58, M.A. '74.

1999

Jesuits and R.S.H.M. Move

1999 - Jesuits and R.S.H.M. Move 

After 70 years in Xavier Hall, the LMU Jesuit Community moves into the new Jesuit Community Complex.  The Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary move their provincial center to Montebello and the sisters move into several smaller communities in the Westchester neighborhood after 30 years in the Leavey Center.

1999

President Robert B. Lawton, S.J.

1999 - President Robert B. Lawton, S.J. 

Robert B. Lawton, S.J., is named the 14th president of LMU.

1999

University Hall

1999 - University Hall 

University Hall is purchased and opens the following year.

1999

The School of Film and Television

1999 - School of Film and Television 

The School of Film and Television is chartered from the College of Communication and Fine Arts.

2000

The School of Education

2000 - School of Education 

The School of Education is chartered. 

2001

The Tongva Memorial

2001 - Tongva Memorial 

The Tongva Memorial is dedicated on the bluff of the Leavey Campus in honor of the first inhabitants of the Del Rey Hills.

2003

The Ed.D.

2003 - The Ed.D. 

The first doctoral program, the School of Education’s Ed.D. in Educational Leadership for Social Justice, is established with an initial cohort admitted in 2004.

2007

Elie Wiesel

2007 - Elie Wiesel 

Nobel Peace Prize Laureate and Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel addresses a capacity crowd at Gersten Pavilion.

2008

Provost David W. Burcham

2008 - Provost David W. Burcham 

David W. Burcham, Law ’84, dean of Loyola Law School, is named executive vice president and provost.

2008

Peg Dolan, R.S.H.M., Campus Ministry

2008 - Peg Dolan, RSHM, Campus Ministry Center 

The Campus Ministry Center and Program are named in honor of Peg Dolan, R.S.H.M., '58, M.A. '74, former director of campus ministry and alumni chaplain.

2008

Peace Jam

2008 - Peace Jam 

Six Nobel Peace Prize Laureates, including Archbishop Desmond Tutu of South Africa, address a packed Gersten Pavilion as part of the Peace Jam Conference.

2009

The Hannon Library

2009 - Hannon Library 

The William H. Hannon Library opens.  A year later the plaza adjacent to the library is dedicated as the Robert B. Lawton, S.J., Plaza in honor of the president who oversaw the building of the library.

2010

President David W. Burcham

2010 - President David W. Burcham 

Executive Vice President and Provost David W. Burcham, Law ’84, is named the 15th president of LMU.

2010

iLMU Mobile Launches

iLMU Mobile, LMU's official launch into mobile apps, is launched with the catchphrase "Put LMU in the palm of your hand."  iLMU Mobile bridged the gap between the university and smartphone owners.  Initially launched with over a dozen microapps, iLMU mobile included iPhone/iPod, Android, Blackberry and iPad versions.  In its first year, it was awarded for "innovation in higher education" in a national competition with a Mobile Catalyst Award.